Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Travel Plans for 2016: Four "Little" Trips

In our home, I am in charge of trip planning. My husband would gladly do it, but he knows I am a control freak and I would probably keep sticking my nose into his planning. SO he happily leaves it all to me!
 
This year we were lucky enough to put 3 international trips in our scrapbooks.  My daughter and I went to Great Britain back in March, my husband and I spent 10 whirlwind days in Italy in July and in August, my husband's family took him to Napa in California to celebrate his 40th birthday. 
 
As soon as we returned home, we began discussing our travel plans for 2016.  Because we have grand plans to take the whole family to Belgium and the Netherlands in 2017, we wanted to keep our travelling in 2016 small and inexpensive. 
 
Well, let's just say we're getting away a bit more than originally planned and the $$$$ are adding up, but in the end it will all be worth it!
 
Trip #1 - Costa Rica
Because our daughter had travelled earlier this year with me, it was one of our son's turns to go away this coming year.  Bryn, our oldest, is fascinated with all things "jungle" and requested that we fly him to South America as soon as possible.  Luckily, my sister recently moved to Costa Rica and Bryn decided that a trip to the jungles of Central America would fit the bill just fine, too.
 
 
 
So, my son and husband are flying from Toronto to Liberia in March and will spend 5 days visiting nature reserves in hopes of meeting some of the jungle's wildest creatures. 


As well, they will partake in a variety of "adventure" tours where they will hike a volcano, zip-line through the jungle and white-water raft down fast flowing rivers. 
 

 Sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it?  I am kind of jealous and would gladly go with my son, but it's my hubby's turn to have an adventure with one of our children!
 
 
Trip #2 - Florida
What will the 2 other kids and I be doing while the older boys are away in CR??
We are going to Florida!!

 
My mom has rented a cottage for the whole month of March  in a small city called Sebring and has invited us to stay with her for a week.  We'll fly down and spend one day at LEGOLAND and another day at Universal Studios (We want to see the Harry Potter adventure!)
 

The warmth of Florida will be a wonderful change from the cold temperatures we will be dealing with in Canada at that time of year!! 
 
 
Trip #3 - Portugal
After my husband's family took him to Napa for his 40th birthday, I joked with my mother and sisters about where they were going to take me for my 40th birthday next year.  They all just laughed it off.  Then a few days later my mother asked me where I would want to go for my 40th if I could choose. 
 
 I quickly said "PORTUGAL!"  
 
And she said, "Okay, let's go!"
 
 
So - we  (mom, my 2 sisters and I) are spending 7 days in this lovely AirBnB apartment in the historic centre of Lisbon. 
We plan on spend 3 or 4 days just getting to know the capital city, and the other days on day trips out to Sintra, Obidos and Nazare. 




My mother and 2 sisters and I have never travelled together just the 4 of us.  Obviously we did a lot of travelling together when we were growing up, but my father was always there.  I am sure we will mourn his loss several times on this vacation, but we know he will be there with us in spirit!!

 
 
Trip #4 - Philadelphia
 
 
This will be the only trip we take in 2016 with our  whole family of five and we hope to go in August.  We can drive to Philly in about 7 hours and we plan on staying in another AirBnB apartment while we are there.    



I was once to Philly when I was a teenager and I remember it being very historic and "pretty."  I look forward to checking out a few cool attractions like the Reading Market and the State Penitentiary and eating in some yummy restaurants.  
 
The kids would prefer that we were flying to the City of Brotherly Love, but we have promised some cool stops along the way, too.  One of the best parts of a trip  is getting there!!

Now that the destinations and travel dates have been decided the minute details like paying the $$$ have to be organized.  If I've planned our finances right, we'll be able to have these marvelous adventures in 2016 and still be able to take a BIG trip in 2017.

Perfect.  I can't wait!!

Thanks for popping by. I love to have visitors around here!

Hugs to all,

XOXOXO

Bronwyn
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a wonderful year ahead! I wish I could travel more. Do you have any tips to share about how to find the best rates for airfare and such? I have been pricing flights to Prague to see my daughter in December and they are so expensive. I have discovered that flight/hotel packages seem to be a much better deal. You will enjoy your trip to Florida....that;s where I live! The Harry Potter experience is awesome! I loved it! Portugal looks amazing and what a special trip that will be for you! Have a delightful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! I am jealous of your son as well ;) I wish my parents would be supportive of me climbing volcanoes and ziplining! When I got my ears pierced she told me I would get cancer lol. It is to my misfortune that my mother is terrified of anything that has a risk, even though the greatest risk is plain ole traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic trips! Amazing photos! Wow! Such a blessing to travel so much and I love it when people share their adventures in the blogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!