Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Recipe: "Autumnal" Overnight Oats

 
Just like everyone else, I am looking for speed in my morning routine.  With a hubby and three kids to get out the door in the morning (as well as myself!), I need to be able to prep some of the morning routine in advance. 
 
That's where overnight oats come in! I make them the night before so that I can put my energy into prepping healthy breakfasts for the rest of the family at 7AM.
 
I've tried a variety of overnight oat recipes from "Double Chocolate Fudge"  to "Banana Peanut Butter Cup," and they are ALL delicious.  But this particular recipe I came up with myself to use up some pumpkin puree I had in the fridge. 
 
Please give it a try. It is the perfect "pick-me-up"  for these new, cooler, autumnal days. 
 
 
 
Autumnal Overnight Oats
(serves 2 and fills 2 "Bonne Maman" jam jars perfectly!)
 
1. Whisk together:
 
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup milk (or almond milk)
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
 

 
2. Stir in:
 
1 cup oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
 
 
3.  Add in:
 
1/8 cup raisins

 
 
4: Core and chop:
 
1 medium apple
 

5. Begin layering the jars. 
 
Line the bottom of the jar with 1/4 of the mixture.  Cover with slices of apple.  Add a second layer of oatmeal and apples.
 

 
6.  For extra crunch, add your favourite "toppings."
 
 
Pumpkin seeds, almonds, pecans and walnuts are all delicious!



7.  Pop on the lids and refrigerate overnight. 


 
 
 
I enjoy mine every morning with a big cup'o'coffee while I check my emails.
 
It's perfect - three main food groups, and I'm full for at least 3 hours!!  
 
 
I'd love to hear  if you try out this recipe.  You won't be sorry!
 
 
 
 
Have a wonderful week everyone,
 
XOXOX
 
Bronwyn

5 comments:

  1. I need to try this, I always take breakfast bars to work but this looks so tasty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being oat intolerant drives me mad sometimes. I'd love to have something like this but the oats would make me so ill. I can just drool instead :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. I will certainly be giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a delicious meal and great way to start the day!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!