Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Using Up Leftovers: A Blue Baby Blanket

Just a quick blog post today to share a simple make I just finished!
 
After tidying my yarn stash up over the Christmas holidays I found that I had enormous collection of blue yarn - mostly in little balls leftover from other projects. 
 
In order to be a little more thrifty in my crafting pursuits this year, I have planned to use up as much of my stash as possible and avoid spending tons of $$$$ at the craft store. 
 
 
After choosing 10 balls of various shades of blue I got started on a baby-sized afghan.
 
I used the very popular v-stitch pattern which is quick and easy - no need to concentrate while I catch up on "Downton Abbey" and "Call the Midwife," and randomly changed colours as I went.
 
 
To break up the blue, I added in a few stripes of cream and white (also leftovers!) and very quickly, my blanket came into fruition!
 
Royal blue, navy, turquoise, robin's egg, denim.....
 
 
 
 
 
Because this blanket will most likely end up in the arms of a baby boy, I decided to keep the border simple and masculine.
 
 
 
 
 
I tend to crochet for an hour or two every evening.  With that much crochet time , this afghan was finished in just over a week. 
 
Not tons of time, but I used up tons of yarn.  Hurray!!
 


I've already begun 2 new crochet projects in the last week.  My daughter asked for a new red cardigan (which, honestly, I bought new yarn for! Oops!) and another baby blanket - this time in shades of beige, cream, green and blue.   I had to buy the beige but everything else is leftovers.
 
 
 
Before I sign off I'd like to say thank-you to everyone who has dropped by and left me a comment or two on my blog. 
It makes me glad to see that people seem to appreciate my photos and my words. 
 
 
Please come back again soon!
 
XOXOXOX
 
Bronwyn

4 comments:

  1. I do like your blanket, and I'm impressed that it only took you a week as well! I have lots of sock yarn to use up this year so that's my plan rather than buying more ... I'll see how long that lasts! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard not to "shop for more!" There is always so much pretty yarn out there! I'm trying to alternate between buying new yarn for a project then doing one with leftovers. I hope I can keep to this pattern!!

      Delete
  2. Such an adorable little baby blanket! The shades of blue along with the cream and white work so well together. Oh how I wish I could crochet! I have tried but my brain and hands won't work together...lol! Have a blessed rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky! I'm pleased with how it turned out. Not bad for a bag of leftovers! I have another bagful of pink ready and waiting for a girlie blanket next!!
      Give crochet a try again. It takes a bit a practise to get everything to coordinate (head and hands!) but well worth it in the end. You wouldn't let a kindergarten student give up, would you?? :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!