Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Crocheted Snowflake Banner

Yikes! Winter is here in my part of Canada.  We've been lucky so far this season to have very little snow and relatively decent (warmish !) temperatures.  But the last few days have been frigid !!
Too cold for any outdoor play.
 So --I've been busy keeping "The Littles" happy inside the house without the use of too much technology.  Sometimes easier said than done, but we're survivin' and thrivin' !!

This morning the kids requested pancakes for breakfast.  I made them with  an extra bit of love, sautee-ing some sliced apples in butter and cinnamon.  Onto the pancakes the apples went along with a big swirl of caramel sauce. 
Let's just say, Caramel Apple Pancakes might be the favourite new breakfast in our home!!



The cold means crafting time and as usual,  I've been busy!

I found a ton of these hand-crocheted snowflakes at a second hand store recently.  Unfortunately the store was closing (too bad because I really liked this little shop in my hometown! ), and the lady sold me 25 of them for $1.00.  

Can you believe it?  I felt like I was stealing them!!


Someone put a TON of work into these!!

To jazz them up a bit I dug into my white button jar and grabbed some thin white ribbon on which to tie them.


 A few minutes and some glue-gun burns later, each of my little flakes had a vintage button centre:


And onto the ribbon they went, spaced evenly so that each and every flake could be seen.  I tied little knots on each one so that they couldn't  escape down the draped ribbon!!



And here's the finished product, hung across my fireplace:



It's actually part of my latest mantel-scape, but you'll have to wait a few days for that!!  

Take care and keep warm!!

B.

13 comments:

  1. They look absolutely beautiful, what a bargain.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and look great in the banner, I'm a knitted and don't know if theres a pattern for knitting. Winter is perfect time to craft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I love them across your fireplace and can see them being used for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The banner is beautiful! (and the pancakes looks yummy too!) I have crocheted some but don't have them hung up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the snowy theme to your post Bronwyn. Snow over here too and bitterly cold! Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute. I'm trying to crochet a heart garland and it does take alot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find and I love your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoever made those cute little snowflakes would be glad they've turned into such a cute project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe your kids are sweeties!!! Love your snow flakes. I bought some off Etsy this past holiday. New follower. Follow back http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/sweet-heart-pillow-upcycle.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a deal! I've been wanting to learn to crochet/knit just so I could make a garland like that. The button embellishment is a nice touch.

    Cheers for a happy breakfast. Saying hi from the hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Mom died years ago and used to make soooo many of these snow flakes. Each of us has several. She would make them for the church bazaars to help them too and gave very many away. I love them now and thanks to you I have another way to use them. Thank you so much. I like to think of the many projects both my parents made through the many years and gave away as floating around making people happy even today...who knows they could be some she made. :-) Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!