Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dad, Daffodils and Dinosaurs

This past weekend, dearest hubby was away on a school trip with 40 of his high school students. Five days of just me and the 3 kids.  For a little simple excitement, we jumped into the car and drove the 2 hours to the small town I grew up in, where my mother still lives.
Mom's garden is all a-bloom with signs of spring - hyacinths, pansies, tulips and daffodils.  
Our daughter Afton was really impressed by the large clumps of daffs spread throughout Nana's garden.  Yellow, white with yellow, yellow and pink, cream and pink - so many different varieties.  
I love the ruffly cups on these ones:

It had been while since we had visited my father's spot in the nearby cemetery, so my mother suggested we make a hand-tied bouquet of flowers and pay him a visit. She grabbed a piece of purple ribbon (Dad's favourite colour) and lovely little nosegay of spring was created.
Afton proudly carried the flowers to the "park" (that is what the kids call the beautiful green-space where my father is laid to rest) and each of us took  a few moments to "talk" to Daddy about the beautiful spring day.  Of course, tears ensued, but after a cuddle or two we were able to load back into the car  reassured that Dad/Poppa was in a better place, enjoying the happiness of heaven.  

Now onto the dinosaur part of this post!!
A few months back I had made a pretty, flowery apron for my daughter to wear when she helps me bake.  Of course, my younger son was jealous and begged for one of his own- "Only Mommy?  Can I have a yellow one with boy things on it?"  I found this fabric at the local fabric shop.  Perfect, isn't  it??

To spice it up, I added a few rows of super-sized red ric-rac.

And, I'll admit, I cheated by using some pre-made bias tape.  Why spend all that time sewing, ironing and cutting my own diagonal bias, when I can buy 3 metres of it for less than $2.00!!  (and this gingham is so cute!)


So what do you think?
Camden was through-the -roof excited!! He often wears it for hours at a time, baking or not.  He calls it his "Super Hero Apron."  Too funny.  Sure honey.  A lot superheroes where outfits like this on their days-off!!

6 comments:

  1. Your Little Afton is precious!

    . . . and yes, I'm all about the premade bias tape, especially when it's red gingham!

    Have a wonderful day Bronwyn! :)

    xo P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this apron is for kids I am totally making one for myself. Dinosaurs Rule! Thanks for the cute idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, your new GF friend, I would love it if you stop by and be mine, too.
    Very cute apron, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,thankyou for popping by my blog ,i love the apron you have made its very sweet and lovely post and pictures xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the apron. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you followed me back at http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and a super cute apron. I bet he loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!