Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Afton's Art Case

I love Etsy.  I don't ever buy pre-made things, but I love to snoop around the site  to find supplies for the projects I want to make.  However, a few weeks back, I  started searching for fabric charm  packs with no real project in mind. 
  After a few hours of searching I realized I may have purchased more charm packs then I will EVER need.  But they are just so pretty! I love piling and re-piling them as I gaze at the patterns and colour combinations.  
"Summerhouse" by MODA is one my favourites I purchased that evening.  Fuchsia, lime green, turquoise and royal blue all rolled into some breathtaking prints. 

By the time it arrived 10 days later (things take FOREVER to come from the the US to me here in Canada!), I had chosen a project from "Quilting in NO Time" by Emma Hardy.   

I'll admit it - I am slightly addicted to paper-pieced hexagons.  I have made several little projects involving them since March when I first learned how to create them.  

Here is some of the fabrics from "Summerhouse" worked into 1 1/2 inch hexagons.
OOH!  I love this mix of fabrics!!

My project also required a lining fabric and a backing fabric.  I grabbed the dots and the turquoise hearts at a local fabric shop.
And after two hours of stitching, ironing, binding, batting and quilting, I had completed THIS for my daughter:

I cheated and bought some pre-made fuchsia and white binding tape. I love how it adds another pattern to my patchwork!

Here is the inside.  Do you see what it is now?  It's an art case for my craft-all-of-the-time daughter.  This way she can take a few pencil crayons, a doodle book and a notepad with her wherever she goes.

She loved it upon first view!  I had originally chosen a plain turquoise ribbon to hold it closed, but the Little Lady fell in love with this dotty ribbon when I returned from the craft store this morning.  So instead, it draws the art case closed.
We recently booked a family trip to NYC during the month  of July.  Little Lady has already planned how she will use this carry case for the plane ride and will also carry it around the city, ready to sketch anything she sees on our travels.  

Excellent! She LOVES it!! This has worked out as perfectly as I hoped!! 

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea for storing your art supplies. Love the Fabric colors. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors! How wonderful! Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from a quilt shop hop; along the way, I bought a bag of hexi papers and the same charm pack! I can't wait to get started on a new project. I originally clicked on your link on Polkdot-Pretties because of the fabric and the hexis...but then I discovered that we made a very similar item! Here's my version of the notebook holder...http://craftedbykatieb.blogspot.com/search/label/notebook%20holders

    I love to give them as gifts, and they are so fun to make!

    I'll be adding your blog to my sidebar...can't wait for your next post.

    -KatieB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, you did a wonderful job. Your hexies look great, I want to make some soon, fingers crossed they turn out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this--and the hexies are so sweet! I just finished a hexie quilt top this weekend and machine pieced it---interesting journey;) But I think it worked in the end!! Your hexies are PERFECT!!

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been a little intimidated by hexagons, but seeing this I might just have to give them a try. I love the colors and patterns as well!

    I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays on May 7th! Hope to see you there! (www.watchoutmartha.net )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 9 granddaughters--they would each love one of these. I better get busy. I started a cute baby quilt with hexes--I didn't plan enough white fabrics to connect the hexes--long story, it will be perfect for these art cases. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a wonderful idea, I would have loved one of these as a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my is this cute and such a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the feature at Positively Splendid, Bronwyn!

    I can't sew to save my life, so I think this is AMAZING! Your daughter is a lucky young lady to have such a crafty Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fabrics and what a great gift! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!