Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

One Project Turns into 2!!

I had been looking for ages for something to hang in the big empty space above my daughter's bed. And then, one day, as I was walking through the "vintage" shop, I came across a circular piece that looked like plaster but weighed next to nothing. Right away I knew its scale and scrollwork were the perfect addition to girly's room.

I loved the little "fleur-de-lis" design, but I wasn't a big fan of the yellow-y, aged look, so.....
....of course, I hit it with a can of vintage white spray paint, and handsome hubby hung it on the wall.
For a few days, I popped in and out and admired my thrifty re-make. But the more I looked, the less satisfied I was with the overall look. Pretty, but also PRETTY BLAND!!

What to do.....colour is needed. But in what form??

Of course, I did what any creatively-blocked girl would do - I VISITED PINTEREST!
I knew there'd be a "pin" that would fill this colour gap. After glimpsing through just a few of my boards, I came across this:

Photobucket
Oh yeah! This is it! I'd been saving this tutorial for a rainy, colourless day just like this one.


So out came my crochet hook and 6 balls of yummy pastel yarn ( and an episode of "Downton Abbey) and I was off and running.

First came the inner parts of the hearts - I made a dozen.
Then I crocheted an accent coloured edging on each one. Aren't they pretty??
And another unnecessary photo ( but they are just so darn cute!)
I followed the tutorial and added a rope that strung each pretty heart onto the next. Easy peasey.

And up it went - fastened easily to the back of the spray-painted circle.
There we go! The perfect splash of colour. It's just what I needed during these gray January days.
I'll admit I take full-advantage of the fact that my only daughter is a real girly-girl, and I add every feminine detail I can. Look - she has a lime green bed, pink and white bedding , lace-y scroll work on the wall, heart-shaped bunting and tissue paper flowers hanging from the ceiling.
She loves it - AND SO DO I!
Thanks for visiting. I'd love it if you left a comment. I cherish every one! And please - become a FOLLOWER!

14 comments:

  1. you're so creative and inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. So Afty. So Bronwyn. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwe, the pastel shades just look perfect! Who needs red for valentines!
    Feel free to submit this to my link party, would love to share it with more people!
    http://toastiestudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/made-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I really want to learn how to crochet. You make it sound so easy! I've been knitting the last few nights, but only an easy scarf for my son. Love the bunting paired with the architectural medallion. Great job! I'm your newest follower and I hope you can pop over to Cottage and Creek and follow back!
    Best to you,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorably cute! Her room looks so sweet! Thanks so much for stopping by and following my blog...I am a new follower, too! PS- I love Downton Abbey, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the hearts. Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful colors. I'll have to try to make some of those hearts before Vday!

    I'd love for you to share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinteresting-party-week-twenty-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a knitter but I just can't crochet. Your hearts are absolutely adorable! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute, the plaque looks so much better painted. The crochet hearts make such a cute banner on the plaque. The colors are so pretty. Your girly girl must be thrilled. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best with all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your sweet comment...the map locations dont hold any signifigance but what a cute idea. They were maps I had found at a garage sale. Love your blog....I am your newest follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I was loving the re-do even before I saw the crocheted hearts, but that bunting just took it to the next level!! A-mazing! I so wish I could crochet now! :) I love love love having a daughter to decorate for!

    Thank you SO much for sharing this at my FIRST party!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While knitting will forever be my love, i badly want to learn how to crochet! Your hearts are adorable! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! I would love it if you would share at our sharing party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-2.html. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous and so creative!!! I'm your newest follower :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope you have a great week. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!!

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!